Friday, April 30, 2010

The Arizona Law

I can really understand the fustration felt by people in Arizona. The Feds are and have been dragging their feet on immigration reform. The two sides (let everyone in or let no one in) are so polarized as to make a middle ground improbable.
I think this law is bad. It allows the police to ask anyone for their papers. Not just Latinos. Let's say I'm pulled over for a ticket and I get mouthy with the cop. He can then ask for my citizenship papers. Of course I don't carry around my birth certificate, and then he can arrest me. Or you, for that matter. Then your car is towed and you have to pay a king's ransom to get it out of the tow yard. The unlimited power to arrest (unless you always carry your passport) citizens is to me quite scary and goes against what our country was founded upon.
Its like the seatbelt law here in California. At first, you couldn't get pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt. It was a secondary reason for a ticket. Then, laws were passed so you could get pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt. Now, the cops can go fishing if they don't like the way you look. "Oh, I thought you weren't wearing your seatbelt. I see you are. License and registration please. (and if you're in Arizona, proof of citizenship) You don't even need to prove your a citizen to vote, so what's up with this law?
I believe it will be struck down by one of the federal courts. Its only a matter of time.

No comments: