Friday, May 21, 2010

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

I've called the lotto a tax on the stupid, but yet I throw my 5 or 10 dollars into the pot. I get that much daydreaming enjoyment out of it, so its worth it for me. Two days ago I checked my 5 quick pics and won $133! Whoo hoo! I gave Sandra half of it and put gas in the Beetle with the rest of it.
Its funny, or sad I guess, but the lotto was sold to us in California as a way to fund the schools. It came to a vote right before I turned 18, so I didn't get a chance to vote on it. I would have voted "no" on it, because I don't think the government should be in the gambling business. It was the cure all for the schools, but all I've heard over the last 31 years of my voting life is how broke the schools are and they need more money. Wasn't the lotto fixing that? Hmmmmm.

Anyway, I've got a plan if I ever win the big one. I'm going to spend some of it but start my own self funded charity. And, I plan on giving the money away once my peeps are taken care of. The charity will buy the RV I want and Sandra and I will travel the country looking for needs to fill. Little League get stolen from? Here's a check. School band needs travel money to go to an event? Here's a check. I like the idea of that kind of direct charity. Of course the FFRF, AU, and ACLU will get a hefty check each year.
See, the more you keep the more the government takes when you die. First they tax it when you get it and they tax it again when you die. So, if its all in a charity, they don't get their grubby paws on it twice. That's really the gist of it, not letting the government get their paws on it twice. And, being a nice guy.

Oh, and everytime I get a losing ticket, I say "our schools win too." They're tired of hearing that at the gas station I buy my tickets and sundries at.

2 comments:

M16Murphy said...

Wait a second. I distinctly remember voting against the proposition for the state lottery. I was about 24 or 25 at the time. Are you sure you were under 18? One of us is having a bad case of memory block.

Joe said...

I wouldn't doubt it was me with the memory block. I didn't vote until June of 1979, which was my first opportunity to do so.